The Problem: You’re procrastinating, and even though you want to be working you just can’t seem to break out of it.
1. Stand up and step away from your desk. It sounds like a small step, but this is the most important part of this idea. Just remember, “Feeling Stuck –> Stand Up!”
While you are standing, shut off whatever was distracting you. Do not sit down.
2. Change your environment by taking a short walk, and once you’re moving start picking up the pace until it feels like you’re hurrying. Try to feel like you’re building up momentum. When you get back you’re not going to “settle into work,” you’re going to hit it like a train!
3. Hit it like a train.
The Secret: It’s easy to think that your body simply follows instructions from your brain, but each is affected by the other. Here we’re getting our mind back on track by cranking up our body.
Want a quick example of using your body to affect your brain and your mood?
1) Notice how you feel right now.
2) Stand up and shake it out.
3) Stand up straight and confidently, and hold your head up high.
4) Look around to see if anyone is looking.
5) Smile ridiculously BIG!
How do you feel? Any different than you felt 30 seconds ago?