How to break out of a “procrastination loop”

The Problem: You’re procrastinating, and even though you want to be working you just can’t seem to break out of it.

The Solution:

1. Stand up and step away from your desk. It sounds like a small step, but this is the most important part of this idea. Just remember, “Feeling Stuck –> Stand Up!”

While you are standing, shut off whatever was distracting you. Do not sit down.

2. Change your environment by taking a short walk, and once you’re moving start picking up the pace until it feels like you’re hurrying. Try to feel like you’re building up momentum. When you get back you’re not going to “settle into work,” you’re going to hit it like a train!

3. Hit it like a train.

The Secret: It’s easy to think that your body simply follows instructions from your brain, but each is affected by the other. Here we’re getting our mind back on track by cranking up our body.

Want a quick example of using your body to affect your brain and your mood?

1) Notice how you feel right now.
2) Stand up and shake it out.
3) Stand up straight and confidently, and hold your head up high.
4) Look around to see if anyone is looking.
5) Smile ridiculously BIG!

How do you feel? Any different than you felt 30 seconds ago?

17 Comments

1. shamsudin ahmad

Very helpful .

2. Arlean Love

Aaron,

Wow! Thank you so much for this tip! Procrastination is something that I have always had a problem with. That has been one of my prayers to put an end to procrastination. I had a conversation with myself, just on yesterday, that procrastination stops today! It has been my greatest enemy. I think this was meant “just” for me as an encouragement. Thank you for your affirmation!

3. alexandra m. ami

Fantastic….I love and save all your tips!! Muah!! Alexandra xoxoxo

4. JIMMY

I know this is true and it really works for I have had to do it on more than one occasion.

5. Star

Dear Aaron,
    Thank-you for your thought and helping me it really did a lot for me. Continue what your doing. Your friend, Star!

6. corey marinnie

Truly appreciate the words of encouragement and support…

7. christopher slater

your tips are very helpful. on procrastination, I think this last tip is good for those who get stuck practising a musical instrument. Stand up, walk away, and come back fresh to the difficulty!

8. bob

Thank You for reminding me of something I knew but did not place the right
    value on.

9. Aaron

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m glad this tip is helping. Let me know if you try any modifications that work!

10. kate

Further to my earlier new year message, I have been practising the tips and it has worked fine for me. For example my bedroom televison has been moved to the visitor’s room to enable me concentrate.

11. Ronine Jones

Thanks very much, I was stuck and couldn’t get in sync no mater what I did. Your tip helped me a lot, in fact I told the rest of my business associates about the How to break out of a “procrastination loop” Tip and It Worked For Them Also..Thanks Again

12. kate

Aaron,
    Thanks for the tips. Incidentally I practised some of them ocassionally without realising that I was doing the right thing. Once more thanks

13. Susan Guinn

Procrastination is the thief of time.
    ~ Edward Young

14. daniela

hi i just wanted to thank you for the great tips …i think is wonderfdul what you doing ….great work

15. daniela

thanks for great advice

16. Sandra

After years of being extremely focused and effective at most of the things I have done. My productivity and motivational levels has taken somewhat of a slump, due to my development of the mindset – that I have too much on my shoulders to get the basic and pressing things that I need to get done in my personal life.

It seems that my business life had taken over and I had become a workaholic who was ignoring the other BIG ROCKS in my life.

Simply downloading and reading and listen to you Andrew…was the best move I have ever made. It was like you were a FLY on the wall fo my home office. I have more time than the average person and have began to let other things, other people and the things they dont have time to do take over my life. Through listening to you…a light bulb went on…
    I ACTUALLY TAKE ON OTHER PEOPLE ACTION ITEMS…TO AVOID THE IMPORTANT THINGS I HAVE TO DO….WOW!!!

In less than 24 hours…I was able to complete a full 45 minutes workout without answering my phone, write to applications without answering a text, and now I am headed to wash dishes and pick up weeks of mail from the kitchen table and still have time enough to head out and get some son….AND YES….I limited my time on FACEBOOK to 1 hour of social networking for my business and 30 minutes of posting my daily series that I use to draw prospects to my Wall.

Recommendation…for a NEW SERIES…Getting of other people’s treadmill and RUNNING YOUR OWN LIFE….lol…but serious….

Bless U for your authentic and generosity with sharing your challenges….to allow the rest of us to see ours…as you said…WE ALL PROCRATINATE…I look forward to sharing this with all my I AM SO BUSY FRIENDS….BUSY IS THE NEW WORD FOR STRETCHED BECAUSE WE PROCRATINATED ALL DAY LONG AND NOW HAVE TO RUSH TO GET IT ALL DONE….

17. Sandra

WOW!!!! THAT FELT GREAT…..NOW I AM GONNA HIT THE SHOWER AND THEN GET SOME SUN LIGHT…AND COME BACK LATER AND DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN WORK ON THIS COMPUTER….LOL